Media Relations and Communications
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Are you a creative communications professional with a passion for your community?
United Way East Ontario is hiring a Manager, Media Relations and Communications to join our newsroom-style marketing and communications team. This is a full-time, one-year contract position.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Manager, Media Relations and Communications will have a minimum of three years’ experience overseeing media relations and communications activities. In addition, you must have strong creative writing, social media and influencer relations expertise.
A natural storyteller, you love to create compelling content that both engages your target audience and inspires them to take action. You’re not only plugged in to the latest and greatest storytelling trends online, but you also place huge importance on being connected to your community offline.
An avid consumer of local news, you’re also very familiar with the regions traditional and digital news outlets, and are hungry to learn about the key social issues our city is facing. You are experienced in crafting communications plans, and a trusted coach and advisor for spokespeople.
As the Manager, Media Relations and Communications, you will contribute to the success of United Way East Ontario’s communications, public relations, marketing and fundraising objectives. You will do this by contributing to communications and content that creatively expresses the mission, vision and values of the organization. With the support of your manager, you will lead and have ownership over projects but also work collaboratively with our talented Marketing and Communications team.
Think you’d be a perfect addition to the team? We’d love to hear from you.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Communications, English, Journalism or Public Relations, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 3+ years coordinating media relations activities for an organization
- 3+ years developing and executing creative communications strategies with measurable results
- 2+ years generating copy and messages that clearly resonate and influence a broad range of audiences and stakeholders
- 2+ years creating creative content for the web, with a demonstrated talent for writing in a variety of styles – ads, social media, blogs, headlines etc.
- 2+ years maintaining and developing online communities
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Command of the principles and practice of communications and content marketing
- Demonstrated online content creation and social media experience
- Strong judgment, discretion and critical thinking skills that align with the objectives of United Way
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex information to easy-to-understand content
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment
- Excellent project and time management skills leading to an ability to balance and manage competing interests
- Proven track record with media relations and public relations activities
- Disciplined, precise approach to editing, proofreading and fact-checking
- Flexibility, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity
- Proactive research practices to stay abreast of digital trends and emerging issues and topics of interest to United Way East Ontario
- Strong listening skills
- Some working knowledge of video production is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Bilingualism is an asset (fully functional in English, spoken French)
Please quote the competition number when submitting your resume. Portfolios of work are welcome.
United Way East Ontario encourages qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodation, to apply to join our staff team. Please advise if you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.